It is not a secret that the cardboard boxes are the new crafts. Used in almost every single business in this world, cardboard boxes can perform anything, other than packaging goods and materials. They are lightweight, cost-effective, environmentally friendly and quite capable of protecting the content. For something that is made out of paper, it is not a surprise what corrugated cardboard can do.
How much weight can corrugated cardboard hold? A corrugated cardboard box can be very strong. Depending on the size and quality, a single wall cardboard box is likely to hold between 30-80 lbs. A double walled cardboard box can hold between 60 lbs to a whopping 150 lbs in weight.
The corrugated cardboard adds miracles to its quality, with the center fluted sheet forming a support to two external sheets. In spite of its basic structure, its delicate design enables it to support a huge amount of weight.
How Much Weight Can Corrugated Cardboard Hold?
A corrugated box gets its strength from its materials. The box’s strength is directly proportional to its density. More walls the box has the stronger it will be. Most of the boxes carry a manufacturer’s stamp inside, which also denotes the type of wall the box constitutes.
It is advisable to use a single walled box if the contents weigh less than 65 lbs. Use a regular sized single wall box for holding 45 lbs items.
Depending on the size of the box, a single walled cardboard box can carry 20 lbs – 120 lbs weight. A double walled box can take 80 lbs-180 lbs and a triple walled box can hold 240 lbs-300 lbs.
Corrugated board strength
Board strength is one of the elements that characterize how solid the box ought to be. There are various questions you should ask before precisely assessing how solid a specific box should be produced:
- The nature of the items
- Aggregate weight of the box
- Box size
- Method of storing and transporting the cardboard box
When you think about the constituents of a cardboard box, the science behind its creation is inconceivably noteworthy. Cardboard is a solitary sheet. You can use Kraft paper and glue to prepare it. Take three paper sheets, join them together using cornstarch glue. Fold them into the box shape to get the perfect shape! However, some way or another, the basic components adds up an extremely solid compartment.
Where Does the Corrugated Board Get Its Strength From?
One gripping question can come to your mind- What gives it its strength? The mystery is in its development, which is less demanding to comprehend when you relate it to normal development. Beams and pillars are unbelievably little contrasted with the structure of a whole building. Plus, it provides support to the entire building structure.
The corrugated type of cardboard adds miracles to its strength, with the middle corrugated sheet acts as help that provides strength to the two outer sheets. Though it has a simple structure, its design enables it to support a lot of weight. It utilizes a type of support structure that includes additional quality to its inner and outer walls. This implies two folded walled cardboard is equally strong.
In any case, extraordinary cardboard boxes have diverse strength limits, yet you don’t need to stress over overloading a box since you’re definitely not beyond any doubt the amount it can take. Each box has a mark on one of its corners that shows its box declaration score. This score will detail how much weight it can hold up and how much power its corners, edges, and sides can remain before crushing and giving way.
More or less, the strength of cardboard boxes lies in the ability of makers to utilize basic materials that are independently weak, different and identify their strengths, and utilize those qualities positively. While on their own, sheets of paper will most likely be unable to stand without question, when deliberately made so as to oppose solid weight, they make a standout amongst the most captivating yet straightforward wonders of the shipment and packaging businesses: cardboard boxes!
What Is a Corrugated Cardboard Box?
A cardboard box is made from heavy paper and comprises of a curve layer called “fluting.” The curve layer includes cardboard boxes with a high strength-to-weight proportion. Corrugated fibreboard comprises of two sections. The first segment, the liner-board, is the flat facing that sticks to the medium. The second part, the medium, is the wavy, fluted paper situated between the liners. Corrugated cardboard boxes are available in a variety of shapes and styles to secure the substance during transportation, and can be used for product packaging and in the storage environment.
Types of corrugated cardboard boxes
- Standard corrugated cardboard boxes offer an assortment of standard sizes with a rigid cardboard development to ensure the safety of the substances in any transportation or storage environment.
- Corrugated Gaylord and bulk boxes are built up of uncompromising Kraft to secure and cover shipments to help guarantee safe entry and easy access for unloading and loading. This type of corrugated boxes fills in as perfect master packs for smaller containers or irregularly shaped things.
- Hazardous materials corrugated boxes highlight the obligatory printed warning data for quick and simple hazardous materials identification and giving safe shipment of harmful materials.
- Insulated cardboard boxes are intended to hold static, delicate, or temperature-sensitive things safely in place amid delivery for optimum product protection.
- Substantial corrugated boxes are built from solid hardcore Kraft corrugated material in a variety of sizes, shapes, and amounts.
- Corrugated cardboard rolls and sheets are made of adaptable Kraft corrugated roll paper to affirm to all shapes and sizes as cushions/sheets ensure packages amid shipment and different applications. Uniformly circulate weight, protect against forklift damage, or embed as the best layer to shield substance from harm when boxes are cut open.
- Folded mailing tubes are available in square and triangle shaped tubes to avoid rolling and give maximum protection against bending and crushing amid transportation. This type of cardboard box includes locking tabs to protect the substance during shipment.
- Moving boxes are explicitly designed to encourage moving to pack up your office, home, art, dress, delicate things, for example, mirrors or dishes, or even your PC.
- Multi-depth corrugated boxes comprise of adaptability and save space by lessening the number of various containers required in inventory.
How to pick the right corrugated cardboard box?
- The first and foremost phase in picking the right corrugated cardboard boxes is deciding the packaging prerequisites and solutions required. Decide how the boxes will be utilized (packaging items, hardware or supplies, price objective, and so on.)
- The second step is choosing the correct size. Use internal measurements to estimate the correct size of the box. The size of items decides the internal box measurements. Measurements depend on the opening of an assembled box. To know about the length and depth of the box, have a proper look at the box. The more extended form of the sides is considered as the length, while the shorter of the opposite sides is the “width.” The side opposite to the length and width is the “depth” of the box.
- The last step is choosing the correct strength box. ECT is the proportion of edgewise pressure quality. This estimates the stacking strength of the box. The burst strength test estimates the capacity of a case to withstand pressure from the interior or exterior forces.
Challenges in the corrugated cardboard industry
Every day is not a Sunday in the corrugated cardboard industry. The industry has its own share of hiccups. Some of the major challenges faced by users while using cardboard for packaging and moving are:
- Increasing input costs and failure to get an apt raise in prices: The unprecedented volatility in input costs is one of the fallbacks for the cardboard industry. Manufacturers have faced issues in finding suitable prices for the cardboard, thanks to the regional pricing imbalance.
- Cost of kraft paper: The retail cost of kraft paper has gone high in recent days. This has made cardboard manufacturers pinch their pocket.
- Imposition of duty on kraft and waste paper: Imposition of various duty charges on waste paper and kraft paper has not been welcome news for the cardboard industry.
- Cost of raw materials: The cost of raw materials such as glue and stitching wire has also gone up steadily, which has, in turn, made manufacturers to increase the price of the product.
What is the thickness of a corrugated cardboard box?
The thickness of a corrugated cardboard box varies and depends on the material of the box. Manufacturers use kraft container-board to create a new corrugated cardboard box. A paperboard material is usually 0.01 inches thick.
Is the corrugated cardboard box eco-friendly?
Yes, the corrugated cardboard boxes are eco-friendly. Most of them are actually post-consumer material, thus, making it strong and green.
Do companies maintain quality standards?
Yes, companies follow stringent quality standards. It is mandatory for all the companies to follow the quality standards as prescribed by the quality and control manual.
Product packaging, till date, remains as a critical, yet underappreciated element in product freshness and consumer satisfaction. From delivering ample size, great strength to being cost-effective, there are many reasons to choose a corrugated box for storing and transporting goods. It is therefore imperative for you to select the best one. Whether for carrying light weights or heavy weights, corrugated cardboard can become the torch bearer for you.